In Windows 10, Microsoft introduced Windows Deployment Services (WDS), which enables users to deploy the OS to client computers.
However, some users have reported getting the error message wdsclient: IP address not obtained successfully when trying to deploy the Operating System.
- The wdsclient error IP not obtained successfully appears when the WDS service fails to start.
- You can solve this by trying to restart the WDS service, or reignite it manually using some commands.
- A more simple solution is to try to use the tcpip.sys file, that is located in the system folder.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Check the IP address
- The IP address can be incorrect or doesn’t match the IP of the device.
- Check the IP address of the device to which you are connecting.
- Also, check the IP address of the device running the WDS client.
- Update the DHCP server
If the device running the WDS client and the device to which the WDS client is connected are on different subnets, then you need to update the DHCP server.
Run the troubleshooter
- Click the Start Button and select the Settings icon.
- In the Settings menu, choose Update & Security.
- Select the Troubleshoot tab at the top of that window.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button under WDS Client Installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
Run the SFC and DISM scans
- Open Command prompt window.
- Type the command below and press Enter to run it: sfc /scannow
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Restart your computer.
- Open the Command prompt as administrator.
- Type the command below and hit Enter: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Wait for the scan to complete.
Scan for malware
- Run a full system scan with a reliable antivirus to rule out any malware
- Run Quick Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials
- Use Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool
- Run a System File Checker
- Uninstall and reinstall WDS Client
- Change your DNS server
- Use WDS Offline Updater
- Use WDS Offline Updater tool
Adjust your firewall settings
- First, open the Start menu and type Firewall.
- Click the first option on the list.
- Next, click the Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall option.
- Select the WDS Client, and then click the Allow another app.
- Click Add.
- Click Finish to close the dialog box.
- Try accessing your WDS server again.
- Ensure the firewall isn’t blocking traffic
- Run the WDS client as an administrator
- Try using another WDS client
Check your registry
- Type regedit in the search box.
- Click Run as administrator.
- Navigate to the following key:
- Within this key, delete any duplicate entries.
- Restart your computer.