However, some users have reported Failed to Start error 80 in Skyrim. If you’re experiencing this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting steps to help you resolve it.
- The Skyrim failed to start error 80 issue usually appears because of an issue with the game files.
- The Skyrim failed to start error 80 can be fixed by running the Bethesda Launcher again.
- Another quick way to fix the Skyrim failed to start error 80 is by updating the game.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Uninstall and Reinstall Skyrim
- Go to Search, type uninstall, and open it.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Search for Skyrim, right-click on it, and select Uninstall.
- Wait for the process to end, and restart your computer.
- Now, download the latest version of Skyrim from the Steam platform.
- Run the installer, and follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Check Skyrim Mod List
- Open Steam and click Library.
- Right-click Skyrim and select Properties.
- Click the Local Files tab.
- Click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
Clear your Cache
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Del to open Windows Task Manager.
- In the list of processes, right-click on the “Skyrim” process and select End Task.
- Now, navigate to your Skyrim installation directory and delete the Cache folder. Keep in mind that this folder should be empty, with no files in it.
- After that’s done, restart Windows.
Check that Steam and Skyrim are up-to-date
- Steam must be updated to the latest version. To update your Steam client, open the Steam client and click on â€ ̃Steam’ in the upper-right corner of the app.
- Then, click on the â€ ̃Games’ tab.
- Click on â€ ̃Properties’ next to your recently downloaded game.
- Now, click on the â€ ̃Update’ tab.
- Click on the â€ ̃Check’ button next to the â€ ̃Update selected games’ option.
- Now, click on the â€ ̃Play’ button and the game should launch.
Check the Games for Windows Client
- Go to Search, type Control Panel, and open Control Panel
- Click View by and select Large icons
- Under the Programs listing, click the Games for Windows client
- Check for Updates
- Uninstall and Reinstall GLT
- Disable other Software
- Disable UAC
- Go to Safe Mode
- Uninstall GLT
- Run as administrator
Modify the Steam Overlay Settings
Open the Steam client and right click on the game.
Choose Properties from the menu.
Navigate to the Betas tab.
Check the Steam Overlay beta option.
Modify the Skyrim Launcher settings
- Go to Start > type skyrim > select Steam > launch Steam
- After the Steam program launches, open Steam > then, click Steam > Settings
- Go to the Downloads tab > select Skyrim Launcher > click Properties
- Click the Compatibility tab > then, on the lower left of the window, select Windows 7 > click OK
- Click OK again to save the modifications
Enable Skyrim Overlay in your launcher
Go to Steam > Games > Skyrim, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Select the â€ ̃Set Launch Options’ from the drop-down list.
- Add â€ ̃â€ ̃-overlay”’ as the argument and click Ok.