The camera raw file format (cr2) is a file format developed by Adobe Systems that allows digital cameras to store photographic information in a raw format.
The cr2 file format is supported by many digital cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic.
However, some users have stated that they can’t preview cr2 image files in Windows Vista.
- CR2 and CRW files are RAW images.
- They are created by Canon cameras, and they cannot be viewed easily.
- You can open these files with dedicated software.
- If you are having issues with your Canon camera, install Canon Camera Connect.
- To fix the problem, use the dedicated Canon software.
- Installing the Canon RAW Data Converter can also do the trick.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Edit the registry
- Open Registry Editor (regedit).
- Navigate to the following location:
- Create a new String value named Shell.
- Assign the REG_SZ data type to the Shell key.
- Set the Shell value to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Camera Raw 6.0\Preview.exe
- Close Registry Editor.
Edit the Group Policy
- Right-click on Computer and choose Manage.
- Click on Local Group Policy Editor.
- Expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > File Explorer.
- Right-click on Enable file previewing and choose Enabled for CR2 files.
- Restart your machine.
Edit the System File
- Press the Windows Key + R key and start typing “regedit”.
- Select the first option from the search results.
- Go to Edit > New > String Value.
- Enter “software\predictable\cr2” in the Name field and double-click on it.
- Change the Value data from “0” to “1”.
Uninstall the Software that installed the CR2 file
- Open the Control Panel, and navigate to Programs.
- Click on Uninstall a Program.
- Search for the Adobe PS software, select it, and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Change the Internet Connection
- Go to Start, type Control Panel, and open Control Panel.
- Go to Network and Internet, select Network and Sharing Center, and click on Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on your connection, click Properties, and go to Networking tab.
- Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Properties, and check the option Use the following IP address.
- Type 127.0.0.1 in the IP address field, and click OK.
Change the default program to open CR2 files
- Open Windows by clicking the Start button and selecting Settings.
- Click Apps from the Settings window.
- Click the Default Apps tab shown directly below.
- Press the Choose default apps by file type button.
- Select the Compressed files (*.cr2) file type.
- Select the Adobe Lightroom app in the Open With list.
- Press the Save changes button.