Windows Media Player can play various video and audio formats, but sometimes, certain files can’t be played.
As you might already know, Windows Media Player can play 3gp files, but in order to do that, you need to convert them to MP4.
However, sometimes, users report they can’t play 3gp files in Windows Media Player.
In this article, we are going to show you a couple of troubleshooting tips for playing 3gp files in Windows Media Player.
- The 3gp video files format is supported by Windows Media Player, and you can play them without any issues.
- The 3gp files playback issues can be caused by outdated codecs, so updating them should do the trick.
- Some users experienced issues with the 3gp file playback in Windows Media Player due to outdated software.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Use Windows Media Player alternatives
- Download VLC Media Player
Use VLC Media Player media player
- Use Media Player Classic Home Cinema
- Use MPC-HC
- Use Windows Media Center
- Use KMPlayer
- Try playing 3gp files using VLC media player
- Try using Windows Media Player
Check your computer’s security software
- Some security software will block 3gp files
- Disable any security settings that block 3gp files
- Disable your antivirus software
- Disable ad blocking software
- Install the latest version of Windows Media Player
- Disable any third-party media player
- Make sure the 3gp file plays properly in another media player
Check for codec errors
- Your Windows Media Player might fail to open 3gp files due to codec errors. To resolve this, try to reinstall the related codec packages.
To do that, open the Windows Media Player and navigate to the Tools menu.
- Click on Repair.
- Now, select Codecs and restart the Windows Media Player.
Fix Windows Media Player registry
- Go to Start > type regedit > hit Enter
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsMediaPlayer > Features > 3gp Playback
- Check if the registry value is 1
- If not, change it to 1
Delete media libraries and files
Open Windows Media Player
Select the Tools menu
Select Show Library Folders
Select All Files
Delete the folders and files on the hard drive
- Rescan for media
Run Windows Media Player as an administrator
- Press Windows Key + R and enter wmpnetwk.exe /admin. Click OK or Press Enter to start Windows Media Player as an administrator.
- Check if your media file plays.
Use Media Feature Pack for Windows 10
- Install the Media Feature Pack for Windows 10.
- Now, right-click the .3gp file
- Select Open with to open the Choose an app window
- Select Windows Media Player 12