But, Windows XP is still used by many users, and many of them are looking for free antivirus software for Windows XP.
In this guide, we will explore the best free antivirus software for Windows XP.
- Windows XP users may have to use older software to get reliable protection.
- Microsoft officially stopped supporting Windows XP in 2014, but users can still download security updates.
- Free antivirus protection is available for Windows XP users, but we recommend installing dedicated security products.
Use the SFC and DISM tools
To open a Command prompt window, click the Start button, type cmd, and select Run as administrator
Type the following commands and press Enter after each:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Reboot your PC
Check and uncheck the Override Automatic Restore Point creation option
- If you do this, Windows will create an automatic restore point every time you encounter a restore point failure.
- Press the Windows key + S, type backup and then select System Restore.
- Click Next on the System Restore window.
- Select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option.
- Click on Next.
- Select a point before the change occurred, and then click Next.
Run the System File Checker (SFC)
- First, open the Run accessory by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Input the command sfc/scannow in Run’s window, and press the Return key.
- Restart your desktop or laptop if it’s necessary to get the SFC to fix system files.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Is your computer running slow, crashing, or giving you the dreaded Blue Screen of Death? Well, don't worry - there's a solution! ASR Pro is the ultimate software for repairing Windows errors and optimizing your PC for maximum performance. With ASR Pro, you can fix a wide range of common issues in just a few clicks. The application will detect and resolve errors, protect you from data loss and hardware failure, and optimize your system for optimal performance. So don't suffer with a slow or crashed computer any longer - download ASR Pro today!
Run the DISM tool
- Uninstall Avast Antivirus Software
Run the AVG Cleaner Tool
- Run the AVG Cleaner Tool
- Run the Bitdefender Antivirus Software
- Run the Panda Antivirus Software
- Run the Comodo Antivirus Software
- Run the BitDefender Antivirus Software
- Run the Malware Bytes Antivirus Software
- Run the Spyware Doctor
- Run the Kaspersky Antivirus Software
Use System Restore
Press Windows + R to open Run, type msconfig in the text field, and click OK.
In the System Configuration window, select the Selective startup option.
Check Load system services and Load startup items options, and click OK.
- Wait for the process to finish and check if the error is resolved.
How do I get rid of restore points?
- Press Windows + S to launch the Search menu, enter remove in the search box, and click on the relevant search result.
- Select Remove items from this PC from the list of results.
- From the options listed, select System Restore.
- Click the Scan for affected programs button.
- Select the “Show more restore points” option.
- Select the restore point you want to remove and click Next.
- Click Finish to remove the restore point.
How do I disable Windows Defender?
- Go to Start > type Windows Defender and hit Enter.
- Click Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Select the Virus & threat protection section from the left pane.
- Click Virus & threat protection Settings.
- Toggle Real-time protection on or off.