This issue can occur due to various factors. It could be due to corrupted Outlook profile, damaged PST, corruption in Windows registry, or outdated Windows OS.
If you are facing this issue, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the drag and drop issue in Outlook:
1. Update Outlook and Windows OS – If your version of Outlook and Windows OS is outdated, update them immediately. This error can occur due to outdated software. 2. Repair PST – If the PST file is corrupted, you can repair it. To do this, open the File Explorer and navigate to the PST folder. Right-click the PST file and choose Open. If Outlook is open, close it. Then, select Repair from the File menu. If the PST file is corrupted, you will be able to repair it. 3. Repair Windows Registry – If Outlook is unable to drag and drop files, use the registry cleaner tool to repair the registry. Sometimes, this issue occurs because the registry is damaged. 4. Use PST Repair Tool – If the PST file is severely corrupted, use the PST Repair tool to repair it. To do this, use this tool and follow the on-screen instructions.
- The inability to drag and drop in Outlook might be caused by corrupted data or outdated software.
- You should try to fix Outlook 2013 not recognizing drag and drop by repairing the program.
- Some users reported that they were able to fix drag and drop in Outlook 2016 by using the Automatic Repair utility.
- You should also check the program permissions in Outlook 2016, and you can do that by following our step-by-step guide below.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Check if a different app is blocking Outlook’s drag and drop feature
- Go to Windows Search, type “why doesn’t outlook let me drag and drop”, and select the first result.
- Click Why don’t I have drag and drop in Microsoft Outlook?
- Follow the instructions in this article
Uninstall third-party add-ins
- You can disable third-party add-ins from the Add-ins and Extensions tab from Outlook’s Options window.
- Check for any third-party add-in that might be interfering with the file dragging feature.
Disable the Windows Defender Firewall
- Go to Start > type defender > select Windows Defender Firewall
- Click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off link
- Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall off
- Turn off the firewall
Disable Windows SmartScreen
- Go to Start, type control panel, and open Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Double-click Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click the Advanced Settings button.
- Uncheck the box next to Turn on Windows Defender Firewall on startup.
Disable the Windows SmartScreen Filter
- Go to Start > type Windows Defender Security Center > open the search result
- Select Virus & threat protection > Virus & threat protection Settings.
Get better performance from your computer with this software - download it to fix your PC today.
- Open Outlook and go to File.
- Click on Account Settings
- Click on Email tab.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Select the Keep a copy of messages on the server option and click OK.