Microsoft releases security updates for their Windows operating systems, and the built-in Windows Defender Security Center is kept up to date as well.
However, sometimes Windows Defender Security Center just won’t install, and an error message is displayed:
> Windows Defender Security Center could not be installed. > Windows Defender Security Center could not be installed. > Windows Defender Security Center could not be installed. > Windows Defender Security Center could not be installed. This is pretty annoying, but there are a few ways to fix this problem, so check out the list below.
- If Safe Mode doesn’t activate, you won’t be able to run some troubleshooters, so be sure to check the steps below.
- This issue can be caused by corrupted software, outdated drivers, or invalid registry entries.
- To fix this issue, you need to use a third-party repair tool, or run a repair installation.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Open the troubleshooter
- To do that, press the Windows key + I shortcut.
- Select Troubleshoot settings from the options shown.
- Click the Additional troubleshooters link.
- Then select the Microsoft Edge Browser troubleshooter.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- However, the troubleshooter window that opens might not show Safe Mode as a troubleshooter option. If it doesn’t, close the troubleshooter window.
- Thereafter, open the Windows Defender Security Center.
- Click the Virus & threat protection option.
- Click the Virus & threat protection Settings option.
- Select the Windows Defender Antivirus tab.
- Click the Scan options button.
- Then select the Perform full scan option.
- Choose the Full scan radio button.
- Click the Scan now button.
Change your monitor type
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app and select System from the tabs on the left.
- Next, click Display from the list of settings on the right.
- Select the Change display settings button.
- Now, disable the set to Change my display settings and Enable display scaling on high DPI settings.
- After doing that, click Apply and OK to save changes.
Disable the antivirus software
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app, and select Update & Security.
- Select Windows Security from the left, and then click on Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Now, click on the Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall button.
Disable your connection security
- Press Windows Key + S and enter connection. Select Change PC settings from the menu.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Network & Internet section. Select Wifi from the left pane and select your connection from the list.
- Select More settings and disable all options listed under Advanced options. After you disable all options, click on Save changes button.
- Now, navigate to Windows Defender Security Center.
- Open menu and select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Now, select Virus & threat protection section.
- Click on Scan options button.
- Select Full scan or Custom scan from the menu.
- Click Scan now and wait until scanning process is finished.
Change your Windows firewall settings
- To do that, open the Search bar and type firewall.
- Open Windows Defender Firewall from the list of results.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall
- Check the box next to the Windows Defender, and click OK to save the changes.