Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision.
Although the game offers outstanding gameplay, it’s plagued by various issues.
One of the most annoying errors users encounter is related to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 iw3sp.exe has stopped working.
- Many Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare users reported that the game stopped working.
- This stop error is caused by the wrong or corrupted DLL files.
- Running the game as administrator can fix this problem, so follow our step-by-step guide.
- You should also try to update your video drivers and check if the problem persists.
PC problems? Solve them in minutes.
Reinstall Call of Duty 4
- Uninstall Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare from your computer.
- Go to Search, type Control Panel and open Control Panel.
- Go to Programs.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Locate Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, right click it and choose Uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
- Install Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare again.
Reset your Windows
- Go to Search, type Device Manager, and open Device Manager.
- Expand the Sound, video, and game controllers section.
- Right-click on your audio device and choose Uninstall device.
- Click Yes in the confirmation prompt.
- Restart your PC.
Perform a Clean boot
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard hotkeys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig in the Run box, then press Enter.
- Click the Services tab.
- Toggle on the Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click the Disable all button.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- Click the Startup tab.
- Uncheck Load system services and Apply > OK.
- Close the System Configuration window.
- Reboot your system.
Update the DirectX
- Go to Search, type dxdiag, and open DirectX Diagnostic Tool
- In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, go to the Display tab
- In Display tab, make sure that under Device type, the Display Adapter name matches your video card
- If the Device type doesn’t match your video card, click on the dropdown box, and select the correct one
- Scroll down to the bottom of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, and make sure that under DirectX Version, it’s set to Version 9.0c
Use Command prompt
- If the Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Iw3sp.exe stopped working error appears when you run the game, try resolving it with the Command prompt. To do that, press the Windows key and type cmd.
- Right-click Command prompt in the search results and select Run as administrator.
- After doing that, enter the following lines in the Command prompt and press enter to run them:
Perform a system restore
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run, enter rstrui in the text field, and click OK.
- When the System Restore window opens, check Show more restore points option, and click Next.
- Now select the desired restore point and click the Next button.
- Click the Finish button to complete the process.